My favorite sense is smell. Okay, I mean, if I had to lose one of my five senses it would probably BE smell so I guess I can't say it's my favorite -- but for memory and anticipation, ah, it is by far the greatest.
You would think we were headed back to Greece. Or Switzerland. The way we talk about Ohio seems on par with these magical destinations. I imagine an alien hearing us talking (I do that a lot, I know - weird- but it's about perspective, really) and thinking that Ohio must a sort of paradise. To me, my friends, it is.
I can smell Ohio. The heavy, muggy air right before a thunderstorm. The grass saturated with dew. I picture us all crowded at the door, watching the sky light up and then go dark. A paradox of sorts.
Tomorrow afternoon we will board a plane back home and for almost two weeks I will feel totally complete. I'll be eleven again and silly and absurd. This is our comfortable.
The only thing standing in my way at this point is plane ride.... with an almost 14 month old. Have you ever flown with a child that age?
Neither have I.
I have a feeling, it ain't gonna be pretty.
P.S. @ Vic concerning the three books I couldn't read:
1. Tropic of Cancer - This is widely regarded as one of the best books EVER written. Like ever. There is a fifty page foreward about it's excellence. It changed censorship. Compelling, they say. All it made me feel - was like a total moron. I could barely understand what was going on. I'm thinking maybe you need to be in a certain mindset and I'm thinking that mindest is genius. We'll see. I'll give it another try someday.
2. World Without End (followup to Pillars of the Earth) - Okay, this should come with a little asterisk because I didn't try very hard. I knew I was headed to Ohio and there was no way I was going to finish a thousand page novel before then so I just stopped because my heart wasn't into it. I know I will love it --- when I have more time.
3. My Name is Asher Lev - I don't know. After about ten pages (I know, not much of a start, eh?) I just put it down and had no desire to pick it back up.
Shit - Charlie just walked in and his hands are covered in dirt. Shit. Wish we luck on the plane!
Smelling is pretty awesome. I don't know about Ohio because I've never been, but I know that when you step off the plane in Hawaii the air smells so sweet you can basically taste it. Have fun out there!
ReplyDeleteAw, have a fun and safe trip. Good luck with the bear. I'm sure he'll do great. Can't wait to see Jacci in her dress. Upload pics as fast as you can! XO
ReplyDeleteWe have flown quite a bit with Zion, including cross-country. You will be fine! Just don't worry about what anyone else may be thinking. As soon as the seatbelt light goes off, we walk the isles until it is time to land. Zion is very spirited, you know, and we still have gotten nothing but compliments. Remind me to tell you about the barf bag story when we get together!
ReplyDeletei know EXACTLY how you feel. we're the same way about CT and is probably why we'll end up there some day (if not forever, for a good while, i imagine). have so much fun!! charlie will be fine - he'll feel your happiness and join in. i can feel it!
ReplyDeletethanks for the book list - i totally get in those moods, sometimes with amazing books that later become my favorites - just as pillars will for you later. i loved it!
love you. love bear. love jacci.
xo
oh, also. joan didion makes me swoon.
ReplyDelete