Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Lessons from Literature

I tried starting three books - three! - and I couldn't get into any of them. WHAT?! That never happens. Seriously. I push through a book, even if I don't love it, because once it's been purchased, I've committed. But, three beginnings later, I put them all back on the shelf and wondered what could be wrong. This is serious.

But then I found it: The Poisonwood Bible!


My friend, Heather, bought a kindle and gave away all her books. I know, I know. I thought the same thing: I got an image of having another baby and then handing over Charlie. Hello newborn, don't need this old thing anymore. Broke my heart a little so I scooped up three bags full of books and it felt like Christmas. Or Hanukkah. You get the picture.

So I opened my fourth book, afraid of what might happen. Scared I'd get a few pages in and toss it aside like a firstborn child. Alas! I was back.

One of the first sections of this book starts with a quote  quotation from Genesis:

And God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea. and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.


Uhhhh. All I could think was: now THAT is some fucked up shit.


Subdue the earth? Have dominion over every living thing? Excuse me, God, but that's exactly the kind of mindset that is destroying the earth. And that is no hyperbole. LITERALLY, that is the story that is speeding up the earth's demise.

Oh, Ishmael, when will they understand.

With gorilla gone, will there be hope for man?

1 comment:

  1. stay gorilla, stay. now all i want to know is: what were the first 3 books!?

    ReplyDelete