Thursday, October 13, 2011

Yeah, I really do think.



I was teaching irony yesterday and I tried to make a joke about how Alanis Morissette's song "Isn't it Ironic" isn't ironic at all and guess what? No one had ever heard of Alanis Morissette. No. one.

I started to feel a little old and a bit disconnected when one of my brilliant (No sarcasm here.This year they really are brilliant) kids quickly responded, "Well, if her song about irony isn't ironic, then it's ironic, right?"

See what I mean?

This is what I've waited my whole life for.

Teaching Honors English  has changed my life. Yeah, yeah, a hyperbole of sorts, but really, not too far off. For the first time ever, I can say with 100% certainty, I love my job. If someone offered to pay me what I get paid now and I could stay home instead of teaching, I wouldn't take it. No way.

It definitely helps that I'm part-time, but I actually look forward to going to work. Cool, huh? (This little colloquialism was pointed out to me and Dan when we were in Greece. Our Kiwi friends explained that they can always tell if someone is American because they use the phrase: "Cool, huh?" We didn't believe them either, but it's true).

By the way, did you notice all the literary terms I threw in here? And watch for the elevated vocabulary in the future. Honors is making me smarter, too. 

Cool, huh?



2 comments:

  1. Wow, I feel old too. I can't believe they don't know who she is. It doesn't seem like that long ago that we were in high school, but clearly it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to see you are blogging again and enjoying teaching, too!

    ReplyDelete